How to get listed in Google?
1. Create a useful site with at least 10 pages of comprehensive, unique and useful content.
2. Use a content management system like WordPress. WordPress takes care of 80% of the SEO mechanics ( See slides 11 and 12)
3. Add a xml sitemap. If you use WordPress, Google XML sitemaps works great.
4. Link to the site by a new article from your already indexed sites. Try to get as many new article links from your friends online. The higher their PageRank the better. This is the most guranteed method to get your site indexed. I have got my newly launched sites indexed and ranking in Google just within hours of launch following this method.
5. If you are new online and find it hard to get links from others: Find forums, blogs related to your topic and leave meaningful comments. This will get you some links and help you make valuable friends who will give you links in future.
6. Read and follow Google SEO guide