Does your website fit any of the following? Then your web site’s design is outdated for sure. Either you or your web designer is living in a cave 😉
* Never disappearing Under construction clip art sign. Mostly with a nice hammer and nail.
* Home page says Click here to enter for no reason (Except for adult sites)
* Ever loading home page flash screen with a skip flash button.
* Site full of frames.
* Site optimized for Internet Explorer 6.
* The whole site is an image map.
* Non Unicode sites with “find-me-where” download font links.
Related post: Things I hate in web design
Can you think of more clues? Let me know in comments.
Keep the font color black in a white background. Any other color combination can be painful for the reader’s eyes and challenge those who are color blind. If you still wish to have colored fonts, choose a dark font in a light background with sufficient contrast and ask some of your friends for opinion. Do not use blue color for font as it may be confused with a link. Do not write the post using multiple colored fonts. If you want to highlight a point, use quotes, bold, italic formats.
Use Bold, Italic styles only when needed and not very often. Do not underline unless it is a link.
Do not fill your blog with too many gadgets, scripts. Your readers may not die if you remove some but it will help load the page faster for them. If an external site serving script for your blog goes down, it will cripple your blog too. So keep only the most important scripts.
Browser, OS, Resolution compatibility
Check your site in popular browsers and operating systems and in all screen resolutions. Your check list should have Firefox, Safari, Linux for sure. Your main post content should be completely visible in 800×600 screen resolution.