SEO beginners FAQ
1. How to get listed in Google?
Read How to get listed in Google
2. How many search engines should I get listed?
It doesn’t make sense to submit to 100s of search engines. Your most of the traffic will come from Google. So it is enough if you get listed in Google, Yahoo and Bing ( MSN Live) – the three major search engines. If your site depends on business from local, submit to popular search engines and directories in your locality and niche.
3. How much should I pay for getting listed?
Getting listed in Google and many other leading search engines is free. Don’t pay anyone.
4. How can I make my site rank in first page of Google?
If you just want to rank for your site name, and if your site name is very unique, you will automatically rank in the front page. But if your name is not unique and you are aiming for a highly competitive term, you need to optimize your site for search engines.
SEO means search engine optimization. Meaning, you need to understand how search engines work and design your site accordingly. It is the art and science of coding your site well, writing smart content and getting a reputation online. Search for “SEO” in Google and read some basic stuff.
6. Where can I learn SEO?
There are 1000s of sites teaching SEO. It is easy to get lost and confused by contradictory concepts, SEO myths. I recommend reading the following websites to know more about SEO.
* SEO Book
* Daily SEO Blog
* Google SEO Guide
7. How much time will it take to learn SEO?
You can learn the basic stuff in a week. But, this is a highly evolving field and million dollar competitive industry. If you want to be a professional SEO offering SEO services, then better spend hours everyday 🙂 It is best to start SEOing your own sites, experiment and learn.
8. Should I pay others for SEO? How much should I pay?
If you want immediate results and not good at tech stuff, better get a SEO expert. The payment depends on how competitive is the term you are aiming for, what are the results you want and whom you are hiring. There are many self-proclaimed SEO experts who will offer you package services for a very low rate. Please be warned about them. There are many black hat SEO techniques (meaning it is like fooling the search engines in short term) which will get you banned from search engines sooner or later. Also be warned that some may charge you very high for simple services actually. So, study the market scenario before you decide to pay.
9. How to find a good SEO expert?
* See if he does nothing but SEO. SEO is a very demanding field. If he she does too many things and offers SEO as just one of the services, I doubt his expertise.
* See if his own site ranks well in search engines.
* Ask him examples of few competitive terms he ranked well for.
* Ask for the procedures he will apply to get you better ranking.
10. What will be the best SEO strategy?
Honest. Natural. Smart. Organic. Natural. Patient. Focus on single topic. Build friendships and reputation online.
Good luck for better SEO 🙂