- Select only two sites for social networking. One for professional and another for personal network. I use Orkut and LinkedIn. Do not accept invitations for new networking sites from your friends.
- Do not accept friend requests from people you haven’t met or with whom you don’t share a passion. This will help you save time, avoid unimaginable online and real world safety troubles. Also, your friends list will be less cluttered so you can stay in touch with them more ease and closeness.
- Do not use social networking sites as a timepass, chat or mail applications. Use it to trace them where they are. Watching their latest photos and videos should be ok. It is easier than mailing them. But, rather than scraping send them occasional personal mails. Reply for a scrap via email and realize that you would save time from the incessant scraps that would have followed if otherwise. I value mails more than scraps. And I hate this “Happy xyz day” wishes sent to all friends in the list.
- Do not have email notification of scraps. Email notifications can distract you and make you login to these sites quite often. If someone is really going to die if you don’t reply them immediately, they would not choose to scrap. Stay cool.
- Stop reading scraps in other’s pages.
- If you are reading messages from communities, then God save you. Stop it. Better, Unsubscribe. You can always find the information and people without these communities.
- You are smart. The world knows. So, you don’t need to change that photo 3 times a day.
- Do not try to use it as a matrimonial. Live in the real world. I always hear that girl friends can be met in bars!!
Keep the font color black in a white background. Any other color combination can be painful for the reader’s eyes and challenge those who are color blind. If you still wish to have colored fonts, choose a dark font in a light background with sufficient contrast and ask some of your friends for opinion. Do not use blue color for font as it may be confused with a link. Do not write the post using multiple colored fonts. If you want to highlight a point, use quotes, bold, italic formats.
Use Bold, Italic styles only when needed and not very often. Do not underline unless it is a link.
Do not fill your blog with too many gadgets, scripts. Your readers may not die if you remove some but it will help load the page faster for them. If an external site serving script for your blog goes down, it will cripple your blog too. So keep only the most important scripts.
Browser, OS, Resolution compatibility
Check your site in popular browsers and operating systems and in all screen resolutions. Your check list should have Firefox, Safari, Linux for sure. Your main post content should be completely visible in 800×600 screen resolution.
1. Rename your subscriptions.
More than one blog can have the same blog title. For example, some Tamil blogs have the same title – ????? ??????????. No quick way of knowing which person’s blog is updated. Also, some blog names are strange / unclear that we don’t remember. And some names are lengthy. So what am i suggesting? It is easier to remember and identify people’s name than the blog’s name as blogs are essentially personal space. Use feed settings – rename subscription
2. Trim your subscription list.
If you have more than 100+ subscriptions, then something is definitely wrong. At least, you will lose your job soon as you will be spending too much time reading, organizing these subscriptions. I had 230 subscriptions once but read only very few regularly and much of my time was wasted in marking all as read. Go to Manage subscriptions and view your subscriptions.
Unsubscribe any blog IF
– You don’t recognize the blog name.
– You don’t read all posts in the blog.
– You don’t read them as soon as it is posted.
After I followed these rules, my list came down to 69 subscriptions from 230 subscriptions. I don’t feel that I miss anything now. You save your time, But.
3. Tag, star your favorite posts.
Also put blogs in folders like news, technology, poetry etc., It is easier to reach them when you want them later.
4. View All Items in Expanded View.
This is the best time saving mode for reading. You can set the All items page as start page at Manage subscriptions->Preferences.
5. Use Keyboard shortcuts.
Use the shortcuts g t for tags, g u for subscriptions. if you had renamed the subscriptions based on people’s name then searching will be very easy. Know more shortcuts by pressing g ?
In your All items page – View settings, if you set it as Sort by Auto, it will analyze your reading pattern and automatically show you the most interesting items for you at the top.
In Manage subscriptions page, at the top right side you have a filter. Use that locate your subscription quicly. I missed to note this facility for a long time.
Why Should I use Ubuntu?
It is easy, fast, better, safe, simple, update and free.
Should I delete Windows to install Ubuntu (or any other Linux)?
No. You can install Ubuntu without uninstalling Windows. While you boot your system you can choose to either Ubuntu or Windows.
How to install Ubuntu?
Download Ubuntu here. It is around 700 MB. Write the downloaded file as an ISO image. Help for this here. Now this CD is called Live CD. Load this CD in your CD drive and restart your system. While restarting press F8 and choose to boot from CD/DVD. This will give you a feel how your system will look like if you have Ubuntu installed. Now you can choose to install using the install option in the Live CD.
How long does it take to install Ubuntu?
Around 15 minutes or less. While the installation goes, you can carry around your normal work in the system, so installation won’t bore you. Isn’t it cool to use the OS even before installing it?
What should I take care while installing?
If you have installed windows already, you should take care while answering the disk partition question while installing. Choose resize option if you want to keep the data safe in your windows partitions. If you choose erase disk, then some data might be lost. So, be careful here.
Why am I not able to connect to the internet through USB?
This has to do with the USB driver specifications. Search for Linux drivers for this or any hardware which refuses to run in Ubuntu.
Some hardware like web cam, music instruments don’t run in Ubuntu? So, is Ubuntu inferior?
No, this is not a problem of Ubuntu but of the hardware provider who failed to give drivers which run in any platform. Write to that hardware provider to support you or ask in Ubuntu user support forums. Some one might find it for you or write a driver for you. When you purchase any hardware in the future, take care to verify that it is Linux compatible.
What anti-virus software can I use for Ubuntu?
Ha ha. There is no virus in Ubuntu (or any Linux). So you need not install any Anti-virus software.
How do I install new software?
Go to System-admin-synaptic package manager, search for the software you want and install them.
Can i access my Windows files from Ubuntu?
Yes. But you cannot access Ubuntu files from Windows. Write to Bill Gates if you need to 🙂
Don’t I have Yahoo / MSN messenger?
No. But you can use GAIM from which you can access all popular chat clients like GTalk, MSN messenger, Yahoo messenger, IRC channels all at one place. You cannot voice or video chat in these programs though. You have separate Ubuntu-Ubuntu compatible programs for Voice and Video Chat.
�Can I view / write Tamil without problem in all applications in Ubuntu?